skip to Main Content

Waite Endurance Forums Base Builder Program Trainer Sessions Same day strength/Aet-Fatigue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jfoster21
    Participant

Hey guys,

Turns out I decided to stir the pot instead of you guys! Nice work on the CX-B race Kathy! I just had a few questions in which I hope may be helpful to others but I know that I am not on the exact prescribed regimen as remote & in-house regimens as well so hopefully it will not be too confusing.

1. Week I (stock): Regarding the TRUE determination of mHR, can I guesstimate using the formula that is provided (185-age) to be at 80% for the Aet and Fatigue Test…. THEN… presuming that I will reach my TRUE mHR upon stage 8 in which is the active 1min 10RPE… then I can use this to update my mHR in Trainingpeaks (TP)? Or should I do an entirely separate/isolated mHR test prior to doing the Aet and Fatigue Test?

2. Week I (stock): Day I calls for both strength and Aet and Fatigue on same day… should strength come before Aet and Fatigue Test or vice versa? I’m planning to take no longer than a 45min rest between the strength benchmark and the Aet/Fatigue Test… is this okay?

3. Week I (stock-HV Trainer): The spin ups use power watts for measuring the spin ups. I imagine I can trade this to HR and/or RPE in lieu of a PM. Should I do this strictly using HR or should I use RPE to mimic the power output?

Thanks again you guys, this last podcast certainly cleared up a lot of things with TP… so much appreciated! Happy spinning!

Cody Waite
    Participant

Thanks for the question! We’re still learning how to use the forum ourselves and missed this, so my apologies for the delay…

Answer to 1.
    Sounds like a good place to start…185-your age for 80% HRmax for the initial AeT test. Then yes you will identify your HRmax via the Anaerobic Testing (highest HR you see, assuming you were feeling good & motivated for a max effort on the test). From there you can validate your calculated HR(AeT) and know your precise 80% of max.

Answer to 2.
    We normally wouldn’t test on same day as strength… but within the Stock Plans, we include the testing option on Day 1, which also includes Sessions 1 Strength as well. Not ideal, but have to get started somewhere. In your case, best to do the test session first, then the strength later in the day.

Answer to 3.
    The spin ups can be tricky to fully understand…
    The goal here is two-fold: 1. a cardio/leg speed warm-up from very easy riding to fast cadence (although not particular “hard” from a metabolic standpoint, but perhaps challenging from a skill/ability standpoint); 2. spin-ups are leg speed drills… the objective is to be pedaling with very little resistance (i.e. 50w +/-) as in smallest gear. Then the target is to gradually increase cadence following the prescribed build.

* The natural tendency for Spin-Ups is to feel “too easy” and eventually “bouncy” in the saddle…most people want to shift to more resistance to smooth it out…this is cheating! the drills goal at least…. the goal is to find that challenging point and get better at achieving and eventually surpassing it to higher cadences over the weeks to come.

Check out our YouTube video for a visual explanation: https://youtu.be/NtsWg7QsNm4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.